Home » Backup » Why is My Gmail Storage Full After Deleting Everything? – 2023
Contarino January 8, 2023
January 8, 2023
Overview: When Gmail mailbox size reaches the prescribed limit size, Gmail cannot send or receive new email messages. In such cases, you can try out the mentioned solutions in this article to get rid of this issue. As deleting or moving mailboxes does not work an error message is displayed even after trying a lot of manual tricks. In this guide, we have discussed the quick approaches to fix the “why is my Gmail storage is showing full after deleting emails and everything?” Issue.
Fix Gmail Mailbox is Full Can’t Send/Recieve Emails? Check Out Advik Gmail Backup Tool to easily download all of your Gmail account data in just 3 simple steps. You can easily create a backup copy of Gmail emails to PST, EML, PDF, MSG, HTML, and other file formats to resolve your “Gmail mailbox is full even after deleting emails” issue efficiently.
Sometimes, even if you delete some of your Gmail emails, you still see that the storage is full, which may encounter huge issues as Gmail is widely used for both personal and professional purposes. You might be thinking that deleting some emails from your Gmail mailbox will help you to clear the clutter of your Gmail mailbox but that doesn’t possible. In such cases, you can lose some of your important Gmail emails. But, Why? Let’s check out the reasons why Gmail storage is showing full even after deleting emails?
Why is Gmail Storage Showing Full Even After Deleting Emails? – Reasons
There are a few reasons why your Gmail storage might still show as full even after deleting emails:
- Firstly, emails are not permanently deleted until they are removed from the Trash folder. To completely free up space, you’ll need to delete the emails from the Trash folder as well.
- Some emails, particularly those with large attachments, may take up more storage space. If you have many emails with large attachments, deleting just a few emails may not significantly reduce your overall storage usage.
- Your Gmail storage is shared with other Google services, such as Google Drive and Google Photos. If you are using a lot of storage in these services, it can affect your Gmail storage.
- If you are using Gmail through a business account, your storage quota might be set by your administrator and you may need to request more storage or delete more emails to free up space.
So, these were some of the major reasons that might be responsible for the issue of Gmail storage showing full even after deleting emails. Now, let’s check out the solutions to resolve this problem in efficient and effective ways.
How to Fix the Gmail Mailbox Full after Deleting Everything – 2023
Here are a few methods described to resolve the issue Gmail mailbox being full. But, it is important to read the limitations of those methods before you try out these approaches.
Resolve By Emptying the Trash or Deleted Items Folder of the Gmail Mailbox
Sometimes if you have deleted your Gmail emails from your inbox folder, they are still available in another folder i.e. “Trash”. Some users think that deleting emails from the inbox folder can free up space, but emails that are in the trash folder can take up a lot of space in your Google account. And if you continue to do this, you will never get rid of Gmail storage is showing full even after deleting emails issue.
To empty the trash or deleted items folder of your Gmail mailbox, follow these steps:
- Go to your Gmail account and click on the “Trash” folder on the left side of the page. This will display all of the emails that are currently in your trash.
- To empty the trash, click on the “Empty trash now” button at the top of the page. This will permanently delete all of the emails in the trash folder.
- If you want to delete specific emails from the trash folder, you can select the checkbox next to each email that you want to delete and then click on the “Delete forever” button.
What If “Gmail Mailbox is Full” Keeps Happening?
When nothing works out to fix Gmail mailbox full issue, there is one program that will be beneficial for you i.e. Advik Gmail Backup Tool. It is such an amazing tool that can easily download all of your Gmail account data in 30+ different file formats of your choice. If you have a backup copy of your Gmail account data then you can easily delete all of your Gmail emails and solve your issue to free up space. The best part of this tool is that you can download Gmail emails to hard drive/flash drive/computer/PC or any location of your choice.
By creating backups of your Gmail emails, you can free up space in your Gmail account by deleting the emails from your Gmail account that you no longer needed while still having access to them through the backups.
To use the Advik Gmail Backup tool to free up space in your Gmail account, you would first need to export Gmail to PST, EML, PDF, DOC, MBOX any of your desired file formats using this tool. Once the backup is complete, you can then delete the emails from your Gmail account to free up space. The emails will still be available to you through the backup copy, which you can access by restoring the backup to your Gmail account or by opening the files on your local computer or external hard drive.
Delete Gmail Emails in Bulk
Another way you can try to clear your Gmail mailbox to free up space is to delete Gmail emails in bulk. If you do so, you can easily release the storage of your Gmail mailbox for receiving new emails.
To reduce your storage space, follow these steps:
- Go to your Gmail account and sign in.
- Select the emails that you want to delete by checking the box next to each email. You can select multiple emails at once by holding down the “Ctrl” key and clicking on each email.
- Once you have selected the emails that you want to delete, click on the “Trash” icon at the top of the page. This will move the selected emails to the Trash folder.
- To permanently delete the emails, go to the Trash folder and select the emails that you want to delete. Then, click on the “Delete forever” button.
Note: Keep in mind that once you delete emails, they are not recoverable. Be sure to only delete emails that you no longer need.
Analyze the Gmail Storage Space
To understand how to manage the storage space in your Gmail account, it’s important to first understand how your Google Account storage space is distributed across Gmail, Google Photos, and Google Drive. Here’s how you can analyze your Gmail storage:
- Go to the Drive storage page
- Select “View details”
This will allow you to see the total storage and the used storage of your Gmail account. Now, analyze and update the storage settings according to your needs and preferences.
The Bottom Line
Most probably, you will be able to resolve why is my Gmail storage showing full after deleting everything by following the manual solutions mentioned in this article. But, if that doesn’t help you, No worries!! Give a try to Advik Gmail Backup Tool to create a backup copy of Gmail emails first and then delete unusual and irrelevant emails from your Gmail account. This tool can help you to export Gmail into various file formats effortlessly and consequently, fix your problem as well.
Why is my storage still full after deleting in Gmail? ›
If your Gmail is taking up storage space, please check and delete the unneeded messages and attachments, including items in the "Spam" and "Trash" folders. 2.Why is Gmail showing full storage? ›
The easiest method to free the space from a Gmail account is to delete unnecessary emails, photos, and attachments. If you use Gmail in the mobile app, then there are chances that Google Photos has auto-synced all your images and videos. So, remove the unnecessary images and videos from Google photos to free the space.Why is my storage full after deleting everything? ›
Why my storage is full even after deleting? If you've deleted all the files you don't need and you're still receiving the “insufficient storage available” error message, you need to clear out Android's cache.Why is my storage not going down after deleting emails? ›
Anything that the Cloud sees as being "deleted", either on your computer or directly in the Cloud, is moved to this Drive Trash Bin but not permanently deleted. Until it's permanently deleted it still counts to your total storage usage.How do I delete 50000 emails at once? ›
- Log in to your mail account.
- Navigate to the Inbox folder.
- Click the top checkbox.
- Click the “Select all [number] conversations in Inbox” option.
- Click the Delete button.
To clean Gmail space, you should first get rid of unwanted and unnecessary email messages using a bulk email organizer like Clean Email. Then, go through Google Drive and Google Photos and delete all files, photos, and videos that you don't need.Why does my email keep saying its full? ›
It is possible that your storage is full, mentions that you have deleted hundreds of emails; but if you do it in your inbox or in your sent folder, the messages will go to the deleted folder and still count as part of your storage, you must empty the "Deleted Items" folder.Why is my Google storage not going down? ›
If you find out that Google Drive still doesn't update the storage, it may be caused by the following reasons: After deleting files, the data is still taking up space in The Trash or Bin folder. Google Drive orphaned files are taking up storage. May be known bugs for older versions of the app.How do I get rid of full storage quickly? ›
- On your Android device, open the Google One app .
- At the bottom, tap Storage. Free up account storage.
- Select the category you want to manage.
- Select the files you want to remove. To sort files, at the top, tap Filter . ...
- After you select your files, at the top, tap Delete .
- Close apps that don't respond. Android manages the memory that apps use. You don't usually need to close apps. ...
- Uninstall apps you don't use. If you uninstall an app and need it later, you can download it again. ...
- Clear the app's cache & data. You can usually clear an app's cache and data through your phone's Settings app.
How long does it take Gmail to update storage after deleting? ›
Within 24 hours, deleted items will show in the available space in your Google Drive account. Here's one more simple step you can take. The Files by Google app helps you find all the junk files eating up space.How do I delete 300000 emails in Gmail? ›
Step 1: To clear the messages from your Trash, click “More” on the left and select Trash. Step 2: Click the checkbox in the top-right corner to select the messages in the trash. Step 3: Select all the messages in Trash and click “Delete forever”. Step 4: Click Ok to confirm that you want to delete all the messages.How do I delete 10000 emails at once? ›
- In Gmail, tap inside the search box and enter before: YYYY/MM/DD. ...
- Select the checkbox at the top so that all the emails in the list are checked.
- Click the Select all conversations that match this search link.
- Click the Delete button.
- Log in to your email account.
- Enter the following search query in the search bar: older_than:1y (feel free to replace 1y with any time period you want).
- Hit Enter, select all found messages, and click the Trash bin icon.
- Log in to your email inbox.
- Click the Settings gear icon.
- Select the See all settings option.
- Go to the Filters and Blocked Addresses tab.
- Click Create a new filter.
- Specify the conditions under which the filter will be applied.
- Click Create filter.
- Click the checkbox next to Delete it.
If you're getting this message, you've used up your storage quota through Google apps other than Google Drive. You will need to clear up space in those other apps to go back under quota, keep using the app, or pay for more storage for your Google account.What affects my Google storage? ›
Any photos or videos you've backed up in High quality or Express quality before June 1, 2021 will not count toward your Google Account storage. Learn more about this change. Gmail messages and attachments, which includes your Spam and Trash folders. Files in Google Drive, which includes PDFs, images, and videos.How do I increase Google storage? ›
- Make sure you're signed in to your Google Account.
- On your computer, go to one.google.com.
- On the left, click Upgrade.
- Choose your new storage limit.
- Review the new plan prices and payment date. Then, click Next.
- To confirm your Google One plan, click Subscribe.
- Consider deleting Drive content that you may have copied to a shared drive.
- To search for and delete unnecessary or large emails, go to Manage files in your Google Drive storage and follow instructions for Gmail.
Deleting emails from Gmail can free up storage space in the cloud. This is done in two steps: first you have to move the emails into the Trash, then you have to delete them from the Trash. Emails in the Trash are still counting towards your Google account's quota.
Does clear data delete everything? ›
Difference between clearing app cache and data on Android
The application stores more vital information like user settings, databases, and login information as data. When you clear the data, both the cache and data are removed.
Many programs use temporary and cached files that are stored on the hard drive. Over time, this can eat up a lot of hard drive space if you don't clean out your temporary directories.Why am I deleted thousands of emails but storage still full? ›
Email in your deleted folder still gets counted toward your total storage. There are a couple of ways to clear out the trash, one is to find the deleted/trash icon right click and “delete all” OR, Gmail for example will clear out your deleted items after 30 days.Does Gmail change storage limit? ›
Google offers 15GB of free storage per Google Account. This storage is allotted across Gmail, Google Photos, Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc. Currently, if you upload high-res and express photos and videos to Google Photos, it does not count against the 15GB quota.Will deleting emails give more storage? ›
Yes, it will free space for new important messages, attachments, and files. Deleting old messages will also help keep your inbox clean and organized.How do I delete 9000 emails in Gmail? ›
- Filter Emails. To get started, log into your Gmail inbox as you'd always do. ...
- Select all messages. Next, check a little box under the the search bar to select all displayed messages. ...
- Select all Conversations. ...
- Delete all Messages. ...
- Empty Trash.
Answer: Your phone isn't communicating properly with your email provider's server. As a result, when you delete a message, it disappears from the inbox on your phone but remains in the inbox on the mail server.